Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Perhaps it will "take" this time

I've tried this blogging thing before but it seems to be an annual task at this point.  So, as my Blog is entitled - new beginnings.

In this new chapter of life, there is now time to participate in Bible Studies, mentoring relationships, taking dinner to friends who've hit a bump in the road, attend grandchildren's field days and theater productions and mostly, time shared with God.

In this week's Bible Study, God gave me some notable thoughts.  The scripture references were:

Psalm 119: 9-16:  How can a young person stay pure? By obeying your word. I have tried hard to find you don’t let me wander from your commandsI have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. I praise you, O Lord; teach me your decrees. I have recited aloud all the regulations you have given usI have rejoiced in your laws as much as in riches. I will study your commandments and reflect on your ways. I will delight in your decrees and not forget your word.

Colossians 3:16 Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts.

The underlines are His commands or decrees and the italics are what should be our responses to them.  The overall thought for me was that we are to be completely immersed with God, saturated - our every thought, our every conversation, our every action.  God does not want to be a hobby to us.  Bible Study - check.  Devotions - check.  Prayer time - check.  I'm not supposed to fit him in between HEB and getting my nails done.  He's not a task in my daily planner.  (Or I should say one of my daily planners because I have several - like new - which should give great insight into my previous God time.  He fit in between all the things I would have on my planner if I actually used a planner.)

The second thought came as we were reading I Peter 3:15-16  But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...  In our "rightness" and little box we live in (no matter how many times we've traded our box for a new and improved enlightened version of us) we must not make others feel small in order to prove that we serve a big God.

We are to know God.  Know the Word.  Search the scriptures to prove that what we hear is what God said - not just the words of someone we hold in high esteem.  Have a relationship with Jesus Christ and acknowledge him as the Son of God.  Remember we are chosen in Christ and saved by His amazing grace.  And we are to share...with gentleness and respect...the hope that we have.


And that is my stepping off point for today.  We'll see where God leads tomorrow.  

No comments: